Hey everyone! The first product I’m going to review is my ARB awning. If you have been a long-time reader I’ve posted an article about the awning before but this is going to be specifically about the product. No fluffy stuff here just straight to talking about the good and bad of the product. Although on this one I really can only say good things. Let’s get started!
Before I got my awning I had my eye on it for a while but never pulled the trigger because of not knowing anyone directly that had one. Well I have one and here is my full review. It is an awesome piece to my rig, if not my favorite. I’m from California and having shade in the desert is something you don’t find very often so having your own source of shade wherever you go attached to your vehicle is priceless. Not only is this thing killer for blocking out the scorching desert sun but it’ll keep rain off of you if you plan on sleeping outside at night. The price tag can make some turn away instantly and I totally get that but with so many high-end off-road products that are all very similar to this and even fancier it actually is at the bottom end of the scale when it comes to the price tag. Here are some pros and cons to the awning.
1. Effective – Need the sun off your shoulders? It’ll do that. Need to cook in the rain? It’ll keep that off of your cooking area. Have some wind? It comes with guy lines to help secure the awning to the ground. Different height vehicle and not sure if it’ll go tall enough? If you can reach the awning from the ground while it’s attached to your rig you’ll have no problem.
2. Price Tag – Have you been looking around at awnings for your new build but you can’t decide because of price? With many other awnings out there now, this actually comes in at an affordable price as well as different sizes for different prices so you really get what you pay for. ARB is definitely a reputable brand and for the price I paid I couldn’t be happier.
3. Quality – Having nothing damaged after over a year in multiple weather conditions has been well worth buying. I have been in 30 mph and higher winds, I have been in down-pour rain storms and I have been in 110+ temps in the desert. None of these conditions caused anything to break or get damaged. If you set the awning up properly you won’t have any issues with this getting damaged. High winds force you to sometimes turn your vehicle or change the awning so it doesn’t act like a kite.
4. Dual Zipper – This may sound a little weird putting a pro as a dual zipper but I promise it’s awesome. When storing the awning back in the bag it can be a little tricky but having a dual zipper on the bag helps tremendously with making sure it gets closed to be safe during travel.
5. Add-On Features – If you plan on getting it, awesome. But there are so many other reasons to buy it and I have one of the other key pieces to this product. From a mesh room, wind protection sides and even a fully enclosed tent room there are a bunch of options if you feel that just the awning isn’t enough. They do cost more for the extra pieces but they are well worth buying after you’ve gotten the awning. I’ll have a whole separate article for just the awning room soon once I get a couple more uses out of it.
1. Hard to Do Alone – You will probably need help setting it up as well as putting it back. It is a little awkward with a few moving pieces but as long as you go slow you won’t break anything. I have heard of people bending poles or breaking the hinges but unless you are just pissed off and throw it I really don’t see how people have had these issues.
Out of all of the pro’s to only have one con against the product is pretty awesome. After owning this thing for over a year I would buy another if I had the need because it is one seriously cool product. Not only will it make you look like you overland but anyone from the soccer parent to the rock crawler should have one.
Thanks for reading everyone! Keep your eyes peeled for new content coming out and don’t forget to throw your email in the subscriptions if you haven’t already. The direct link to buy is below!